We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
How we will support children with SEND when they are moving on to another class or leaving this school:
- In the summer term before children transfer to St Mary's Primary School we organise transition visits with our nursery schools and settings.
- This involves the children coming with their parents, carers or a staff member to their new school and helping them to settle into the new environment and meet the staff. The organisation of transition for SEND children is an extension of this system.
- School staff will visit the pupils in their own nursery settings to collect information and meet the child in his / her setting.
- School staff will also arrange home visits to get to know the children in their home environment.
- School staff will attend any review meetings prior to transition, in partnership with the nursery setting.
- Pupils and their families will be invited to a School Start Treasure Hunt in the Summer Term before entering the school. Families can meet the Parent Support Advisor, Health Care Professionals and School Staff.
- We also have transition days within the school to make moving from one class to another, and moving to another key stage as smooth a process as possible.
- Additional visits by the pupil and parents can be arranged for pupils with SEND.
- In Year 5, pupils with SEND will take part in a Year 5 Review meeting with school staff, parents and a representative from receiving schools. In the year before children transfer to St Bede’s School, Year 5 pupils attend transition events. School will organise transition visits with other secondary schools where appropriate. SEND pupils will be offered additional visits to secondary school. St Bede’s offer a well-established transition Programme for SEND pupils.
- If your child moves to our school during the school year we will liaise with their previous school to ensure a smooth transition.